About Blue Plate Special
Blue Plate Special Road Shows
The WDVX Blue Plate Special is taking a winter break. Actually, the Visitor Center which houses WDVX and the live performance stage is getting a face lift during January and February. There will still be Blue Plate! A fun series of pop up live music performances at venues throughout the region including the Open Chord, Pellissippi State Community College, and Clayton Center for The Arts on Maryville College Campus. Plus in-studio performances and the best of Blue Plates from the WDVX vault. How about another serving of Nickle Creek, Rodney Crowell, Jerry Douglas, Ollabelle, or The Waybacks? We hope that kind of fare will satisfy your daily lunchtime craving for live music until the Visitor Center reopens in March.
Here’s the WDVX Blue Plate Special Road Show schedule and map links so far –
About Blue Plate Special
The WDVX Blue Plate Special® is a live performance radio show held at noon, with your host Red Hickey Monday through Friday and Doug Lauderdale on Saturday, at the WDVX studio inside the Knoxville Visitor Center. It’s always free to join in so please don’t be shy. Make yourself at home as part of the WDVX family. From blues to bluegrass, country to Celtic, folk to funk, rockabilly to hillbilly, local to international, it all part of the live music experience on the WDVX Blue Plate Special. You’re welcome to bring your lunch.
Previous performing artists include Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, The Avett Brothers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, Jim Lauderdale, Marty Stuart, Fred Eaglesmith, Nickel Creek, Red Stick Ramblers, Rodney Crowell, String Cheese Incident, The Del McCoury Band, Tim O’Brien, Yonder Mountain String Band, David Grisman, Claire Lynch Band, Tommy Emmanuel, Uncle Earl, The Infamous Stringdusters, the Jerry Douglas Band, Joan Osborne, John Oats, Mary Gauthier, Darrell Scott, Dale Watson, the Hot Club of Dowtown, Leftover Salmon, Chris Stapleton, Wylie & The Wild West, Blackberry Smoke, Greensky Bluegrass, Paul Thorn, Chuck Mead, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Sturgill Simpson, and many many more!
Blue Plate Special Booking Information
Hey Y’all – welcome! See if what you do fits the Blue Plate Special.
- The Blue Plate Special (BPS) is a LIVE broadcast, in front of a LIVE audience. It is not a “taped” only performance. Performers will be required to sign a performance release allowing us to record and photograph your act.
- The Blue Plate Special is a FREE show that is broadcast in East Tennessee and streamed worldwide. Performers may sell merchandise (you keep 100%), promote upcoming performances, promote a CD and website, etc.; however, there is no performance fee. The promotional benefit and opportunity to sell merchandise is mutually beneficial for you and WDVX.
- The show is archived on our website for 2 weeks after the performance date. You will be given a CD of the performance.
- The venue is small. We recommend that drummers use rods or brushes. We enjoy all types of music and bands here, but we really do have to keep an eye on our volume…otherwise people leave, and that’s just bad for everybody.
- Our load in is 10:30 am EASTERN. (FYI – there is a time zone change between Nashville & Knoxville).
- WDVX proudly showcases new talent. We also want to program an entertaining show for WDVX listeners. If you aren’t booked for a show, get solid performance experience and apply later.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING EAST TENNESSEE’S OWN WDVX!!!
Red Hickey, the youngest of three girls, was born and raised in Knoxville, Tennessee. She went to art college in fashion design in Atlanta… More