Job Title: Underwriting Sales Manager
Reports to: General Manager
Status: Exempt – fulltime position
WDVX is seeking an Underwriting Sales Manager to plan, execute and lead the underwriting portion of WDVX’s fundraising strategy. This includes selling WDVX’s media assets: on-air business sponsorships (Support for WDVX comes from XYZ ……), event sponsorships, and WDVX’s emerging web and digital assets. You will be responsible for the renewal of existing underwriting contracts and prospecting and selling new business underwrites. You will be responsible for helping to update WDVX underwriting packages, rates and creative offerings while ensuring compliance with FCC regulations.
The successful Underwriting Sales Manger will participate as a collaborative member of the WDVX management team and staff in developing and creating an integrated approach in supporting all WDVX fundraising, marketing, programming and outreach efforts. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the WDVX brand, programming, Americana music and know how to leverage WDVX’s “Halo Effect” as a community and national asset. Knowledge of the East Tennessee media market is preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
• Three plus years of successful media sales experience in commercial, public broadcasting or
other media advertising.
• This position requires marketplace and media sales knowledge of East Tennessee and
specifically of the Knoxville media market.
• Working knowledge of internet, social and mobile media platforms, terminology and analytics.
• Superb writing, presentation skills and implementation of WDVX branding and the ability to
build rapport with existing underwriting clients and new sponsors.
• Entrepreneurial spirit: Develop new revenue opportunities through creativity and market
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and strategically with a variety of staff, volunteers,
supporters and other stakeholders including WDVX board of directors.
• Basic computer skills required with a preference in Microsoft Office (word, excel, power point).
Google Docs, Photoshop, audio & video editing skills a plus.
• Passion and appreciation for WDVX music programming and associated local and regional
• Preferred Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, business, broadcasting, communications.
• Underwriting Sales: Responsible for managing and cultivating an existing portfolio of
underwriting clients while qualifying and developing new underwriting sponsors to meet WDVX
• Management of Underwriting Activity: Produce custom proposals, negotiate and write
contracts including on-air schedules and draft copy. With the office manager maintain customer
files including, approved agreements, on-air credit schedules and available inventories. Ensure
that WDVX underwriting guidelines and FCC regulations are followed in regard to acceptable
wording for on-air copy. Monitor billings and collections for underwriting agreements.
• Work with the General Manager and Program Director to establish strategies and plans that
includes the creation of a comprehensive media marketing kits tailored to attract new sponsors
by positively exploiting WDVX’s multiple platform offerings of broadcast, web, digital, events,
live remotes, specialty shows and other assets.
• Work with the General Manager to set forecasts and sales goals for on-air, events and other
sellable media assets.
• Work with the Program Director and graphics personnel on imaging and web design strategies
that strengthen the WDVX brand while appealing to younger demographics.
• Underwriting Sales Manager will generate a monthly summary report of major activities.
• Provide leadership and supervision to part-time contract underwriting reps.
• Participate in on-air fundraising and other development efforts as needed or requested.
Compensation: Salary with commission. By meeting minimum sales targets plus benefits, approximate annual income will be $50,000 per year. (WDVX wants you to make more income by exceeding the minimum sales targets). The Underwriting Sales Manager will be responsible for handling all current commissionable contracts. Benefits include health insurance and 401K contributions.
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
This opportunity will remain open until filled.
Here is a printable version of the above job description.
WDVX Underwriting Sales Manager Description posting 2018.
General Manager position
WDVX, licensed to Cumberland Communities Communications Corporation, seeks qualified applicants for the position of General Manager to provide leadership and management of the community-supported radio station. The GM functions as chief executive for strategy and operations, reporting to the Board of Directors.
The mission of WDVX is to create and provide content to promote the cultural heritage of East Tennessee and the Southern Appalachian region by entertaining and educating audiences globally with original programs showcasing live radio performance, under represented arts, and emerging and local talent.
WDVX is an established nonprofit community supported radio station with a worldwide audience and brand. With a stable base of supporters and great market position, the opportunity exists to consciously shape the future of the station, preserving the best of our successful heritage and meeting the challenges of the future.
The Board of Directors is seeking a leader who can take the organization through a transition into its next successful phase in the digital age. Desired characteristics include understanding the challenges public radio stations currently encounter, an engaging and inclusive leadership style, a proven track record of operational and staff management, and the ability to formulate plans and solutions that engender confidence and execute them effectively. More about the station is available at https://wdvx.com/.
- Strategic leadership. Drawing upon experience and interaction with the station’s constituencies, work with the Board to formulate and articulate an exciting vision for the future of the organization and a plan for achieving it. Network with staff and stakeholders to promote the vision and plan and promote engagement. Ensure resources and staff members are aligned to achieve the goals contained in the plan.
- Fundraising. Oversee and provide guidance in all revenue-raising efforts including underwriting, grant writing, fundraising events, merchandise sales, charitable gaming, and other special events. Aggressively pursue opportunities to increase station revenue. Personally initiate and lead major solicitations. Identify and capture additional fundraising streams.
- Operations and Budget. Oversee station operations and management personnel. Working with staff, set standards and monitor performance. Formulate the annual budget and manage expenditures to meet budget constraints. Provide leadership and guidance to promote a positive, engaging work culture.
- Compliance. Ensure that WDVX operates within relevant regulatory parameters and complies with grant, funder, and other external requirements. Monitor programming and other activities to ensure they reflect the station’s mission.
- Community Relations. Actively represent WDVX and its stakeholders in the local and larger broadcast and music industry communities. Initiate productive partnerships, promote the brand and market position of the station, and attract significant new advocates, performers, and contributors.
Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline or equivalent experience or equivalent required. Ten or more years of management experience demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility. Familiarity with the broadcast industry including Internet streaming is strongly preferred. Involvement in and appreciation of the musical traditions and styles featured on WDVX. Knowledge of and experience with FCC licensing and requirements. Experience with nonprofit or listener-supported radio is highly desirable. Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers and the community. Other desired skills and characteristics include: Negotiation, relationship-building, oral and written communication.
This is a full-time position with benefits. The position will remain open until filled.
How To Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to HR@wdvx.com or mail to 301 S. Gay Street, Knoxville, TN 37902. No calls, please.
WDVX/Cumberland Communities Communications Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
INTERNSHIPS AVAILABLE AT WDVX!
Blue Plate Special Internships
We have four unpaid internship positions at WDVX. Each internship typically lasts one semester (Fall/Spring) or through the Summer. The positions are as follows:
Production (2 positions) – Assist with day to day operations of the Blue Plate Special (BPS). This includes (but is not limited to) helping with artist load-in/parking, setting up audio equipment, and recording, editing, indexing and archiving performances. Hours are approximately 10:30a-2:30p M-S.
Marketing (1 position) – Assist WDVX staff with marketing the BPS at a grass-roots level. Responsibilities include updating/editing social media sites and interfacing with local area businesses and media outlets to garner as much attention as possible for the BPS. Hours are generally flexible.
Syndication (1 position) – Assist WDVX staff and production interns with editing, archiving and posting BPS shows to online distribution sites which allow other radio stations/media outlets to access syndicated material. Hours are flexible.
If you are interested in a Blue Plate Special internship contact Daniel Kimbro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To volunteer at events – email@example.com or with the programming department or in the office contact firstname.lastname@example.org. It all happens, thanks to you!
Cumberland Communities Communications Corporation/WDVX is an equal rights employer and is committed to treating all individuals equally regardless of differences in race, color, national and geographic origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, physical ability, sexual orientation, language, socioeconomics, marital status, veteran status, and viewpoint.