Robby Hecht and Caroline Spence are playing Tennessee Shines Radio show this Wednesday. Tennessee Shines Radio Show is performed for a live audience every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Boyd’s Jig & Reel musical pub in Knoxville’s historic Old City. The show is broadcast live on WDVX FM and WDVX.com. Tickets are $7 plus applicable fees in advance, available at http://
In the meantime, enjoy this Bullet Backstory from Caroline Spence herself. She was gracious enough to answer our questions for this regular feature on the WDVX blog.
Take it away Caroline!
Listen online at http://www.wdvx.com/
- Biggest musical influences?I could sing “C’mon, C’mon” front to back by Mary Chapin Carpenter as a 7-year-old, and I think that explains a lot.
- What made you decide to pursue music as a career?I wrote songs for fun my whole life and never really thought about it being my gift untilI I was staring down college graduation and couldn’t put it out of my mind. I thought I’d move to Nashville, get a job, and be around music at least. When I started playing out in Nashville, people kept commenting on my voice and I started to realize I had something unique to offer.
- What advice do you have for young musicians who are trying to hone their craft? Don’t follow trends. Write like yourself. Tell the truth. The best songs you’ll ever write will be the scariest to perform because you have said something you’ve never been able to say before in any other way.
- What’s your favorite thing to do in Knoxville? Eat at The Tomato Head and hang out with Robby Hecht’s mom’s Saint Bernard.
- If you could work with any musician (living or deceased) who would it be and why? Bruce Springsteen. I am so in awe of him as an artist, performer and songwriter. I would love to talk about the craft with him.
- Anything else you would like to share? Favorite WDVX memory, etc?
When I played “First Friday” last year, Nelson gave me his extra ticket to see Jason Isbell at The Tennessee Theatre. It was my first time seeing a show there and I’ll always be grateful to Nelson and WDVX for that experience.