Miss Tess is joining us on the Blue Plate Special with host Red Hickey on September 14th at 12 p.m. This event is free to the public and will be held at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center. In the meantime, enjoy this Bullet Backstory from Miss Tess herself. She was gracious enough to answer our questions for this regular feature on the WDVX blog.
Take it away Miss Tess!
- Biggest musical influences?
Tom Waits and Bonnie Raitt
- What made you decide to pursue music as a career?
I grew up in a musical family, listening to my parents jam and have band practice. They were always encouraging of my musical pursuits. What put me over the edge was an experience at the Telluride bluegrass festival playing original songs for people. For the first time I enjoyed singing in front of people. I was also inspired by a songwriter who was staying in the same house, who played and sang some great tunes!
- What advice do you have for young musicians who are trying to hone their craft?
Just keep doing it. Discipline, practice, and endurance will take you far.
- What’s your favorite thing to do in Knoxville?
Eat at Tomato Head.
- If you could work with any musician (living or deceased) who would it be and why?
Bonnie Raitt. I think she is so talented musically and has a phenomenal voice. And I could learn a lot from her coolness.